I was excited to hear that they were making a live action movie based on G.I. Joe. As a child growing up in the 1980s, don’t get me wrong, I had a Barbie and a couple My Little Ponies, but Scarlett was my animated hero and I wouldn’t have minded if I drove a car that could transform into an alien robot. I remember being somewhat devestated one day when I lost my Scarlett O’Hara doll and as hard I couldn’t make her reappear and I looked in every store that carried G.I. Joe dolls,but I could never find a replacement doll for her. And when the initial reports of the cast were coming out, the more excited that I became…Ray Park as Snake Eyes, Dennis Quaid as Hawk, who else could you cast?
I do realize that the movie studios really aren’t making the Transformers and G.I. Joe movies for people like me. Worldwide, there’s too few of us to really market to and there’s far too many who have never seen the original animated series or read the comics (but here’s hope that Marvel will start publishing their back issues because of the publicity of the movie), so there’s no real need to stay true to either source material. I understand the need to tell a good story, but I don’t feel that any of the changes help make a better story.
Note: Skip if you don’t want to read the spoilers.
What I didn’t like:
- There’s no other word for it but sheer greediness…it’s always been G.I. Joe: An American Hero…and now G.I. Joe is a part of the UN
- Baroness and Cobra Commander are siblings??
- Almost all of Cobra are under the control of Destro and Cobra Commander thanks to nanobots…some have had their personalities changed and skills changed thanks to the nanobots?
- Baroness and Duke were engaged
- Baroness studied under Stormshadow
- the love triangle set-up between Snake Eyes, Scarlett and Ripcord…Snake Eyes, Scarlett and Duke I can understand because of the comics and the TV series
- Cobra Commander being subserviant most of the movie
- Everyone except for Stormshadown being in black pleather
- the pver-reliance on technology, even Scarlett’s crossbow
- those dumb high-tech suits that Duke and Ripcord wear
- They sank the North Pole?
- For some of the actors (Channing Tatum…oh how far he has fallen), this is just a series payday, not a favored childhood memory for any one. It came off as just a job and nothing more.
- Stormshadow’s seemingly loose attire…how can a ninja fight in those clothes and the face mask?
- The acting was mostly caricactures of animation
What I did like:
- Snake Eyes
- Zartan taking over as the President of the United States
- Storm shadow